Kanha tiger Reserve is located in the Maikal Hills of the Satpuras spreading over two revenue districts - Mandla and Balaghat.Kanha was declared a reserve forest in 1879 and notified as a wildlife sanctuary in 1933. Its status was further upgraded to a national park in 1955. The habitat has an excellent interspersion of geographical attributes and welfare factors which foster a rich population of wildlife. Kanha is virtually a tiger land, with several tigresses occupying traditionally famous natal areas. Several pockets of high density areas lead to competition amongst tigers for food and space with several signs indicating their presence. Inter group fights among tigers and cub morality caused by male tigers is common in Khana.